Fall is a great time of year to gather family and friends around your table. I would like to encourage you to host a supper in October.
Do you want your event to be Simple, Special or Spectacular?
This will depend on your experience, the time you have allotted to prep for the meal and what the occasion is. Read on for instructions on how to prepare a delicious meal and a fall themed table that perfectly fits your needs!
Our basic meal will remain the same. We will prepare Baked Stuffed Pumpkins (or Wild Rice Stuffed Pumpkins as a simpler vegetarian recipe.) Then we will adjust the way we serve the meal and the way we decorate the table! Now the fun begins! Click on the links above for the two simple recipes and instructions.
- Prepare the stuffing for the Baked Stuffed Pumpkins and serve it in a bowl if you do not have time to prepare the mini pumpkins. Serve a simple green salad with the stuffing. If you want an even simpler meal, you can serve store bought pumpkin soup and a loaf of good quality bread.
- Cover your table with a fall colored table cloth or place mats using colours such as brown, cream or orange.
- If you have fall colored leaves in your garden (or in a local park), add some to the centre of the table, on each plate or purchase a bunch of fall flowers. You can also add some pumpkins or squash as part of the decor.
- Use orange napkins and place one in each glass or next to each place setting.
- I love my cake stands as they can be used in so many different ways. I put the little vase on top of the cake stand and it immediately made a table centerpiece.
If you have some more time and energy and would like to step up your meal from the Simple style, try the following additions!
- Prepare the meal and serve the food in the little pumpkins. These mini pumpkins will look spectacular on each plate and will be part of the decorations for your table. (Make sure you choose small pumpkins or you will have enough for a meal for an entire family in each pumpkin as you can see in my photos!)
- Place a colored plate under each pumpkin (I used orange paper plates to make clean up easier.)
- Add some leaves to the paper plate and place the pumpkin on top of the leaves.
- Add some other fall produce down the centre of the table (this is economical as you can cook with the items later) and some fall colored flowers.
- Use a fall colored napkin to add more pizazz and little LED lights if you have them.
I hosted a group of business executives from different parts of the world and I wanted to do a very impressive meal. I noticed that the creepers on the back wall of our home were turning colour, so I set up the table in our back yard (and hoped it wouldn't rain). Just before we were ready to serve dinner, I led the group around the side of the house and towards the beautiful table. They were so surprised by what they saw as they had no idea we were setting it up. The little lights were twinkling, the pumpkins had been placed at each setting and the table was filled with fall bounty. It was truly spectacular! I could not have pulled this off without the help of a team of people, including my sister Michelle, my friends Ansa, Cate and Linh.
I have collected lots of other ideas on my Pinterest Board to inspire you to be really creative.
Whether your table and meal are Simple, Special or Spectacular, the main thing is that you open your heart and home and invite people to join you around the table.
Please share this post with friends and share your ideas in the comments section below. You are also welcome to email me your fall meal photos so that I can share them with our Heartistry community.