Through the years we have hosted literally hundreds of staying guests. The visits have stretched from a night or two to a month. A few have come for short visits and literally extended their stay for years (and I am not exaggerating!) I love being able to host family or friends and want to ensure that my guests feel totally at home. Here are 10 simple steps to ensure that your guests feel at home. Maybe you want to ignore some of them, or you too may have guests stay for extended periods of time!
1. Prepare the bed (or couch) in advance of their arrival- no-one likes to arrive to see the host dashing around trying to find clean sheets and towels.
2. Write a welcome note letting guests know you are pleased to have them and hope they will enjoy their stay. Put it on top of a set of clean towels on the bed.
3. Prepare a simple welcome basket with a bottle of water, a small snack, a pack of tissues and some candy.
4. Provide some toiletries in the bathroom such as small bottles of shampoo, conditioner or lotion.
5. If you have flowers in your garden, put a small flower arrangement in the room.
6. Try to be at home when they arrive so that you can show guests around the home and explain important details about how your home runs.
7. Provide a card with your wifi code on it and an extra key so that they can come and go independently.
8. Be clear about what your expectations are such as whether they should help themselves to food in the kitchen, or wait until you get home so you can prepare the meal for them.
9. Provide some information about the neighborhood, public transport details and local tourist attractions.
10. Plan to take a break from some of your personal activities so you can spend some quality time together.
Hosting guests take work, costs money and time and is not always easy. The rewards however are great and lead to deeper friendships, personal growth, opportunities for service and a life lived more generously. I highly recommend it!
Please share how you welcome guests in the comment section.
Please share this post with your friends by clicking the SHARE below. Thanks!