There is great power in the spoken (and written word). Take a few minutes and write what you appreciate about someone in your life and share the words with them.
- You can write an affirmation for family members, friends, and colleagues. In fact mostly everyone will love receiving one!
- Don’t put it off as done is better than perfect! Start with one and you will want to write more.
- If you can, read it aloud to the person, then give them the written version as remember, there is great power in the spoken word!
- Start with their character (you ARE), “Your calm personality sets a tone in the office.”
- Add their actions (you DO), “You can be relied on to complete tasks on time.”
- Share how their character has personally impacted your life (You MAKE A DIFFERENCE), “When you took the time to read my business plan, you gave me the courage to step out and try something bold that has changed my life.”
- Give specific examples rather than generalities such as, “When I am giving a presentation, I always look for your face in the crowd as you listen so well and your smile encourages me.”
- At the end write out what you hope for them (a blessing) such as, “I hope that during this coming season you will have joy in your life, fulfillment at work, fresh opportunities for growth and plenty of reasons to smile.”
- If stuck, use an acrostic for their name and add a characteristic for each letter
- If you are feeling truly inspired you can make a rhyme and turn it into a song!
The main thing, is just go ahead and do it. Your words will bring so much life and encouragement and then maybe, just maybe someone will write one for you. And isn’t that exactly what you want?