I have had the privilege of being a guest in homes all over the world and have experienced such wonderful, warm hospitality. I have also hosted countless staying guests. There is a vast difference between good and bad guests! It is such a joy to host a "good guest" and then to invite them to return again soon. As I travel and stay with others, I want to do my very best to be a blessing to my hosts.
Here are some of my top tips to ensure that we are invited back!
1. Make clear arrangements before going.
2. Research the culture so you can be better prepared to be a good guest.
3. Learn a few words in their language such as please and thank-you.
4. Take an appropriate gift.
5. Be genuinely complimentary of the host’s town and particularly their home.
6. Take an interest in the children, learn their names and spend time with them.
7. Be sensitive to the family’s schedule such as bed times when quiet is needed.
8. Eat whatever is put in front of you! There is nothing worse than a picky guest.
9. Offer to help with household chores such as washing the dishes.
10. Purchase some groceries or treats to contribute to the family meals.
11. Spend time listening supportively to the family as hosts often unburden themselves to a guest.
12. Strip your bed, clean the bathroom, empty the trash and tidy up before you leave.
13. Write a thank you note and leave it on the bed and then thank them again when back home.
14. Leave a positive spiritual deposit by speaking words of affirmation or praying for hosts.
15. Keep in touch and you will build up friendships all over the world that will last over time.